Saturday, October 19, 2013

LavaCon 2013 Preview

The 2013 edition of LavaCon is one of the biggest ever. With multiple tracks every day in areas that are important to content strategists, project management, information developers, and more, it's going to be a full four days--and that's not even counting the pre- and post-conference workshops.

Let me state right up front: I'm not going to pretend this is objective. This preview is colored by my own personal interests, passions, and work and career goals, among other things. I want to make it clear that a failure to be mentioned in this piece is no reflection of the quality of the speaker or the subject.

Aaaaaand it's Sunday morning and it turns out that the actual Sunday workshops are radically different from the early program. Different, and fewer. So not only is my Sunday going to be a lot saner,  mosg of what I wrote last night as a Sunda preview iss, to use a highly technical term, toast.

It looks like I'll be spending more time than planned in Adobe's thought leadership session than planned. It looks like it's being moderated by Scott Able, which should make it fun. Andrea Ames is also foing an all-day session (not sure yet on what), but I know I want to drop in there for a bit.

Monday begins with not one, but three keynotes. I'm looking forward most to Sarah O'Keefe's on You Wat It When? Then, right out of the gate, there are three sessions I want to attend. The one I'm leaning toward the most is DITA for Documents, with a case study on Improving the Information Experience for Customers right on its tail. A Content Strategist's Toolbox looks very interesting as well.

After lunch, I'm very curious about Adaptive Content. I saw Noz Urbina last year and his thinking is quite out-of-the-box and requires broadening your horizons. IN the final multi-track time slot, I'm looking at either Converting Legacy Content to DITA Doesn't Have To Bo Complex, Slow, and Expensive and a case study of Overcoming Design Challenges in Multichannel Publishing Using HATs.

Monday ends with two more keynotes--which for me will likely be a way to catch up on Tuesday's newsletter preparation.

...and it's bedtime Sunday night. Have to be fresh in the morning. I'll add to this on Sunday.

1 comment: